Lough Cutra Castle
Lough Cutra Castle is a private residence situated in the West of Ireland. While very much retaining the relaxed atmosphere of a family home, it offers the chance for guests to completely get away from the stresses of modern life. Galway Bay Castle and Estate has a long and varied history including a period where it was a convent. It was designed by John Nash who worked on Buckingham Palace and has been visited by guests such as Lady Augusta Gregory and W B Yeats.
The countryside surrounding Lough Cutra holds stories for the centuries. The immediate grounds of the 600-acre estate are rich in remnants of churches, cells and monasteries due to the introduction of Christianity, and a number of the islands on the lake contain the remnants of stone altars. Lough Cutra Castle is less than 40 minutes’ drive from Shannon Airport and an hour’s drive from Galway city.
Map co-ordinates: 53.032281, -8.813106
Sleeps up to 18 guests in nine luxurious bedrooms and due to its location on the west coast, it is ideal for family gatherings, weekends away or summer holidays. There are several on-site activities at Lough Cutra Castle such as pike fishing (fly or spinner) on the estate’s private 1000-acre lake. Around the estate there are a variety of trails offering opportunities for walking, running, cycling and bird-watching in unspoilt woodlands and parkland. There are numerous activities to do locally including hiking, sailing, surfing and golf. The castle is let on a self-catering basis, but extra staff can be organised for your stay should you wish. A further advantage of the location is that privacy can be guaranteed.
- Enjoy some private boating and fishing on Europe's largest privately held lake.
- Lough Cutra Castle has been host to exclusive guests such as His Royal Highness Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall Camilla, Irish President Michael D Higgins, Bob Geldof, Lady Augusta Gregory and WB Yeats.
- Accommodates up to 18 guests in nine luxurious bedrooms
- Self-catering but additional staff are available upon request
- Lough Cutra estate is full of wildlife and farm animals including Hen, Sheep, Donkeys, Cuckoo, Pheasants, and Swans
At A Glimpse
Lough Cutra is a private family home that exudes warmth and hospitality. With its deep traditions, majestic location, extensive art collection, and welcoming staff, Lough Cutra Castle embodies Ireland and its indelible spirit.