Couples trip to Scotland: Golf, Relaxation & Discovery
The perfect mix for couples or traveling partners wanting to explore Scotland in different ways
- Challenge yourself playing golf in both famous and hidden gems courses
- Highlights of Scotland thought golf courses, destinations and activities
St Andrews, Aberdeenshire, Dornoch, Edinburgh
Activities and courses can be customized to your expertise and preferences
Ever wanted to plan a trip but couldn't agree on what to do? Well A&B Travel Designers have got your back.
We have crafted this sample itinerary for those travelling together with differing interests. Some may wish to visit Scotland, the home of golf, while others may prefer to skip the golf and experience the best of Scotland’s culture and nature with outdoor experiences and breath-taking landscapes.
Enjoy Scotland in two different ways each day and spend your evenings together sharing your highlights, while staying in hidden gems properties throughout the country.
- Welcome to Scotland! Upon your arrival into Edinburgh airport, meet your driver and begin your journey to the Home of Golf, St. Andrews.
- Some of you will venture to Kingsbarns to enjour your opening round of golf of the trip, meanwhile the others will enjoy a cycling tour of the town. Spend the evening at your leisure, but it is recommended to enjoy a drink in both the Jigger Inn and the Dunvegan.
- Today, the golfers will play the New Course St Andrews. Designed by Tom Morris and opened in 1895, this is hardly a “new course”! It is in fact, a classic links course and a first class golfing challenge. The rest of the group can choose to spend the day enjoy some spa treatments, or why not take the day to enjoy the scenic views following the Fife Coastal Route with your driver guide?
- Time to leave St. Andrews behind. Those wanting to golf will enjoy a round of golf at the Open Championship Venue, Carnoustie Golf Links. Meanwhile the others will enjoy a day in the spa in the Carnoustie hotel spa, followed by lunch. After the gents finish their round of golf and grab a bite to eat, you will continue your journey into the Scottish Highlands. You will head towards Aberdeen area, where you will be staying in the Meldrum House Country Hotel. An old manor house estate with its own golf course, this is the perfect base to explore the Scottish Highlands. Enjoy the evening at your leisure.
- This morning the golfers will venture to Royal Aberdeen for another round of golf, meanwhile the non golfers have the option of enjoying the morning at leisure in the hotel or joining the gents on their way to Royal Aberdeen and getting dropped off in Aberdeen to enjoy some shopping. After the golfers finish their round of golf perhaps meet up to enjoy lunch before exploring some castles in the Aberdeen area. First venture south to the dramatic ruins of Dunnottar Castle which sits out on a narrow peninsula of land. From here head onto Crathes Castle before making your way back to the hotel to enjoy the evening at your leisure.
- Today a part of the group will venture north to Cruden Bay for a round of golf, an Irish style links course set in Scotland. Meanwhile the rest of the group will enjoy the Royal Deeside Tour. When Queen Victoria built her castle at Balmoral she put Deeside on the tourist map. Victoria came to the area as a pioneering young woman, full of infectious enthusiasm. See where she walked, rode and painted and spent time with the local people and discover the area that the royal family still loves to this day and enjoys as their summer retreat. Visit Crathie Kirk where the royal family worships before continuing to Balmoral for a tour of the gardens, followed by personal time to explore the exhibitions and ballroom at the end of the tour. You will all meet up back at the hotel and relax for the late afternoon/early evening. Before dinner you will enjoy a private whisky tasting in Meldrum’s secret room, a truly special experience. Later that evening you will be in for a special dining experience as you eat dinner under the stars in a specially made glass dome in the grounds of Meldrum House.
- You will all enjoy a special tour into the Cairngorms today, as you venture off road. You will be met at the hotel by your driver and guide where you will begin your journey. This offroad tour will take you on private hill roads into the heart of the Cairngorms National Park, where there’s a good chance of seeing red deer, golden eagles, red and black grouse, red squirrels and mountain hares. Discover a landscape steeped in history and folklore, learn about land management and the diversity of flora and fauna, while absorbing breathtaking views. You will take a leisurely pace in a 4×4 safaris to ensure that you have the opportunity to enjoy this remote and dramatic landscape. This will include a picnic lunch which you can enjoy in the heart of the Cairngorms National Park.After being returned to your vehicle you will venture further north into the Scottish Highlands, as you head for Dornoch. You will spend your next few nights overlooking the famous Royal Dornoch GC.
- This morning the golfers will enjoy a round of golf at Royal Dornoch, meanwhile the rest will visit Dunrobin Castle. Dunrobin Castle is the most northerly of Scotland’s great houses and the largest in the Northern Highlands with 189 rooms. It is also one of Britain’s oldest continuously inhabited houses dating back to the early 1300s, home to the Earls and later, the Dukes of Sutherland. Here, you will also enjoy its famous Falconry display featuring golden eagles, peregrine falcons and other exotic species including the South American Chilean Blue Eagle and European Eagle owl.
- Those who will want to golf today will venture further north, as the head to Brora Golf Club. One of Scotland’s hidden gems, that is quickly beginning to change as more and more golfers venture this far north. Meanwhile the ones not wishing to golf will enjoy a cycling tour of the area surrounding Dornoch. Enjoy the breathtaking views from The Struie Hill Viewpoint where you will not only see Dornoch Bridge but also a number of Scotland’s biggest mountains. Continue then for a stroll to the Falls of Shin and the Salmon Leap.
- Time to leave the Highlands behind and begin your journey towards the Scottish capital. This will be quite a long drive, but if times allows it why not make a quick detour to Loch Ness to see this famous lake. Upon your arrival into Edinburgh in the afternoon, drop off your bags at your boutique townhouse hotel. You will be met here by your walking guide where you will enjoy a tour of the city. Your guide will showcase to you the highlights of the city, as well as giving you an unrivalled insight into this great city’s history and importance. Enjoy the rest of the day at your leisure.
- This morning the golfers will venture the North Berwick to enjoy a round of golf on the West Links. The non golfers will experience Edinburgh with a private food tour of the Old Town. This food and drink tasting tour will allow you to sample local delicacies as well as giving you the opportunity to experiment with other tasty foods and drinks along the way. This tour is all about experiencing a ‘hidden’ Edinburgh, off the beaten track and away from the tourist center.
The golfers will once again head too North Berwick, for their final round of golf in Scotland. This time they will head to the Glen Golf Club, or North Berwick East Links, perhaps one of most underrated golf courses in Scotland. Today, the other part of the group will explore the Royal side of Edinburgh while visiting the Palace of Holyroodhouse, which is the official residence of HM The Queen in Scotland, followed by a visit to The Royal Yacht Britannia, which was home to Her Majesty The Queen and the Royal Family for over 40 years, sailing over 1,000,000 miles around the world and now berthed in Edinburgh.
- Private Transfer today to Edinburgh airport for you to board your flight directed home.
All our experiences are tailored to meet your every need.+353-1-288-9355
Made to measure
We are Experience
Our team of highly experienced travel designers will guide you from beginning to end as you embark on a tailor-made journey of distinction, enjoying truly exclusive and authentic cultural experiences. We can fulfil your bucket-list dreams.Speak to us
Shalom Ireland | Exploring the Jewish History of Ireland
Scottish Highlands, Whisky & Culture
Couples trip to Scotland: Golf, Relaxation & Discovery
Genealogy & Ancestry
Family Adventure in Scotland
A Royal England
Get the latest from Adams & Butler: Sign up to our Newsletter